What is rosacea?
Rosacea is a very common facial skin disorder, especially in fair-skinned individuals. It is more common in women and those over 30. There are four main types with varying symptoms. Common symptoms include:
- Easy “flushing and blushing” of the face that persists and eventually becomes chronic redness of the nose and cheeks (common)
- Skin sensitivities including roughness, dryness, stinging, and burning, especially with application of skin care products (common)
- Acne-like inflammatory papule and pustules (common)
- Marked skin thickening and distortion of features, especially of the nose (less common)
- Eye redness, itchiness, irritation and styes (less common)
What causes rosacea?
The cause is not well understood, but theories include a combination of immune factors, genetics, inflammatory reaction to skin organisms, UV radiation and vascular reactivity.
How do I know if I have rosacea?
Many people self-diagnose based on symptoms. Dr. Tkatch will review your history and examine your skin to determine whether you have rosacea. No blood tests or biopsies will be necessary.
How is rosacea treated?
Although rosacea is chronic and there is no cure, there are various effective options to manage the impact of rosacea on your appearance.
- Avoidance of common triggers:
- Extreme heat or cold
- Hot beverages
- Spicy food
- Appropriate skin care measures with use of gentle products.
- Avoidance of chemical and mechanical exfoliants.
- Effective use of moisturizers to maintain the skin barrier.
- Use of a non-irritating sun screen.
- Cosmetic coverup with high quality, non-irritating make up.
- Prescription medications. There are new and effective medications on the market for the treatment of rosacea.
- Intense Pulse Light (IPL). A series of IPL treatments can do wonders for diminishing the redness and dilated blood vessels caused by rosacea. IPL works by heating up the blood vessels and causing them to constrict and shrink. IPL treatments are easy to have with little downtime, cost-effective, and bring quick improvement in your appearance. Because there is no cure for rosacea, the treatments will need to be repeated at least annually to maintain your complexion.
Dr. Tkatch changed my life! I have had the opportunity to visit MD Wellness Solutions for IPL treatment for my severe rosacea. I have had rosacea for most of my life but over the years it progressively worsened. Not only is it embarrassing and uncomfortable it also prevented me from participating in many activities. Now after the treatments my rosacea is gone! My insecurity is gone! I’m comfortable in my own skin! Since then I have had other treatments, was recommended the best skincare products I have ever used and have been continuously impressed by Dr. Tkatch and her team’s expertise, commitment and kindness. Each experience is better than the last. I will continue to see and trust her!
— Lori L.
See more of Dr. Tkatch’s rosacea results in her Rosacea gallery.